Monday, November 5, 2012

BREAKING: "I am strongly opposed to this deal" James Bezan, Con MP. Chair, Standing Committee National Defense.

It's time that all Conservatives speak up. 

The following is an e-mail from Conservative M.P., James Bezan (riding of Selkirk Interlake) to Jill Winzoski a reporter with the Selkirk Record dated October, 18, 2012:

Dear Jill,

Thank you for sharing your concerns and expressing your apprehensions regarding the bid by China National Offshore Oil Co. (CNOCC) to take over the publicly traded Canadian oil company, Nexen. This is an important subject that I am quite concerned about…

I would like to note that I am strongly opposed to this deal, and I have raised my concerns directly with Cabinet as well as with the Prime Minister. As I have stated to my colleagues in Cabinet, due to China’s dismal record on human rights and freedoms, I take particular exception to allowing a state-owned company from China to purchase a Canadian company. The communist Chinese government continues to fail to grant even the most basic of human freedoms to its citizens, as they strip away their national wealth to invest around the world. CNOOC’s past possible human rights abuses and failure to report oil spills is something I am also very concerned about…

As a Conservative, I am in favor of keeping markets open in Canada, however I do not support allowing state-owned and state-controlled enterprises to take over publicly traded Canadian companies, as these state-owned and controlled business [sic] are not on the same level playing field as other free enterprising corporate entities. Markets should operate in a manner that allow [sic] for fair and proper investment. State control, through financial manipulation and investment, do [sic] not allow for openness or fairness to the average investor. Large amounts of state investment distort markets for all other participants, while limiting other opportunities.

It is important to note that although caucus members such as me personally oppose this deal, should Minister Paradis feel the Nexen bid meets all requirements under the Investment Canada Act and the Competition Bureau Act, there is little that can be done to stop it…

Sincerely,

James Bezan, MP.
Chair, Standing Committee on National Defense.


Source: ipolitics

No comments: